Stephen Bennett of Union Church Millworks
It is Business Spotlight time! We are excited to introduce to you Stephen Bennett of Union Church Millworks located at 1809 Selma Low Moor Road, Selma, VA. A lot of folks in the area do not know what all this company does so here is an opportunity to learn more.
Can you tell us about Union Church Millworks, Inc?
- Union Church Millworks is a family-owned business that was formed in 1996. We manufacture solid, unfinished hardwood flooring, paneling, trim, and stair parts that are sourced from local loggers. We produce high quality products that can be customized. Our staff members are prepared to assist with any design questions associated with using unfinished interior products. After the design phase, we mill the products on site and store them until the project is ready for delivery. We deliver our products and carry them inside of the house to ensure safe delivery. We’ve grown our professional network to make referrals to other installers and professionals in the business to ensure a steady flow from design to completion.
What has been your biggest success to date?
- Our biggest success is growing our professional network. We network regularly with contractors, installers, and other building professionals to ensure that we keep projects as efficient as possible. We’ve found that every project is a little different, so it takes many professionals to ensure a satisfactory outcome!
What has been your biggest challenge?
- Our biggest challenge has been spreading information about our options and what we can do! We still have local people that drop in at the warehouse that have no idea what we do. We are trying to grow our audience, so that we can assist on more projects in our area.
What do you enjoy most about having your business in the AH and supporting the area?
- All of our employees live in the Alleghany Highlands. I enjoy the fact that we are supporting those employees, but we are also supporting our local loggers. This year, we have traveled all over the state spreading our story. We have had plenty of clients that have visited our mill and complimented the area and its location. We get to work in a small community, but also bring people from other communities to experience what we have!
What inspires you to hit the ground running each morning?
- Personally, 2 things inspire me to continue to be the best that I can be. The crew at UCM is a great group! They take a great amount of pride in what they do every day. It is incredibly inspiring to watch them manufacture high quality products and then see those products in someone’s home. The 2nd thing that inspires me is the clients that I get to work with. Most clients are extremely interested in the outcome of their project. It is great to be able to help design the project and then see the outcome with a happy client!
What is an interesting fact about your business that most folks don’t know?
- An interesting fact about us is that we assist in the design of a room using hardwood flooring. We’ve perfected the process of picking a floor that will work with the overall décor of the home.
Is there anything else you would like to add?
- We just went live with a brand-new website at www.unionchurchmillworks.com
- We are in the process of completely refinishing our showroom and will be planning an open house in the fall.
We so appreciate your business here in the Alleghany Highlands!